[Groff] Fw: gtroff enhancement request

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Fw: gtroff enhancement request
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 23:55:31 +0200 (CEST)

This might be of interest to you all...
--- Begin Message --- Subject: gtroff enhancement request Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 07:06:15 -0600 (MDT)
First of all, thank you for .brp!  It really eases inserting
'bracketed' text into a text flow.

I have this macro that puts titles underneath figures; here's a
typical invocation:

.FG "Figure 3" "A resource conflict matrix for filesystem placement based on
Example 2. As long as all servers are up, we have a low rate of conflicts. If
server2 goes down (matrix b and c), the conflicts increase depending on how the
virtual machines are re-provisioned. b) is a better solution than c) because it
has the lowest conflict rate.

The macro is so simple. It just inserts text that is boldened \\$1,
a colon, and \\$2. The first line of output is un-indented; the
rest are indented.

The output in my current case, though, is such that there is a bit
of white space separating the words on the first of the five lines
of output (3.05 inch wide columns).  I'd like to track-kern the
first six words a bit wider (to eliminate the white space) and then
revert back to normal track-kerning. [Yes, I'm talking about a 'bit'
of white space -- .tkf of 0.1 is enough to fix the problem. I have
a backend processor that flags 'slightly excessive' whitespace.]

Thus, I'd like to embed a .tkf function.

What do you think?

RK

        ((__))       Rob Kolstad                      USACO Head Coach
         (00)        address@hidden   15235 Roller Coaster Road
   -nn--(o__o)--nn-  +1 719 481 6542        Colorado Springs, CO 80921
         ----        http://www.usaco.org         FAX: +1 719 481 6551

--- End Message ---