Re: [Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number contro

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number contro
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 00:25:20 +0100 (BST)

On 16-Sep-07 22:15:55, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>> > I don't think classic troff mm's ":p" has ever been in groff's mm,
>> > which has used "ft*nr" as long as I've known it (about 1990)!
>>
>> The obvious "solution" to that "problem" is to add:
>>
>>      .als :p ft*nr
>>
>> to the mm macros like is done for other obscure number registers.
>
> In case this fixes the problem I'll apply this change to the source
> file.  Luke, can you verify it?
>
>     Werner

I would like to suggest that, before anything is done generally
in groff, we should get to the bottom of where this ":p" is
coming from.

I don't have access to macro files for other troffs at the
moment, but I've browsed around in such documentation as
I can find, without seeing a reference to a number register
":p" in mm. Not that this disproves its existence, since
a lot of troff documentation (indeed like a lot of groff's)
doe not refer much to "internal registers"; nor have I got
access to much documentation!

Perhaps ":p" is specific to a particular version of troff,
as used by Luke's wife for her thesis. If it's not generic,
then I doubt we should add too many such "special patches"
to groff.

So let's wait for Luke to tell us more detail! In particular,
which "make" of troff, what year, version of mm macros?

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861