[Groff] how to set default font family

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: [Groff] how to set default font family
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 17:15:47 +0100

hi,

back  to  the  roots: I was always content using the default
font family (times roman -- after all troff is  rumoured  to
mean  'times  roman  roff'...)  but  finally, I've to switch
fonts sometimes.

the  `.fam'  request  works  just  fine but seemingly not in
combination with the -ms macropackage. something like

.\"----------------
.fam P
.LP
This is a test
.\"----------------

typesets in times roman. only

.\"----------------
.LP
.fam P
This is a test

does the intended thing, i.e. the ms-macros seem to reset to
the default font family at each invocation.

question:  how  to  enforce  palatino  (or  whatever) as the
default family for a complete document _inside_ the document
(not via the `-f' groff flag from the command line)? I would
have  thought  calling  `.fam'  sufficiently  early  in  the
document source should do the trick.

joerg