Re: [Groff] How to switch off line filling?

From: Dan H
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to switch off line filling?
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 14:06:17 +0100

On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:24:09 +0100
Joerg van den Hoff <address@hidden> wrote:

> I believe this should be something like
>
> .do hcode ä ä  Ä ä
> .do hcode ö ö  Ö ö
> .do hcode ü ü  Ü ü
> .do hcode ß ß
> .do hla de
> .do hpf hyphen.den
>
> (probably   in  this  order  of  appearance?)  if  you  want
> hyphenation for german text.

Well, I simply followed the groff_diff manpage:

----------------
.hpf file
Read  hyphenation  patterns  from  file;  this  will
be searched for in the same way that name.tmac is searched for when
the -mname option is specified.  It should have the same format as
(simple) TeX  patterns files.
----------------

I don't know what the ".do" is for in your tip, but the manpage says
specifically that .hpf should be used. Moreover, if I specify a
non-extant file, groff complains about the file not being there,
from which I infer that the file is being found and read.

Anyway, it makes no difference if I use "do .hpf" "rather than
".hpf".

I don't know of a file called "hyphen.den"; it doesn't exist on my
system. But the TeX file does have the \pattern{} thingy that groff
needs, so I guess it should be alright -- in principle.

--D.