Re: [Groff] RfH: numeric expression expected (got `n')

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] RfH: numeric expression expected (got `n')
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:31:53 -0700

Those would be the lines.

Based on the error messages you're getting, which are produced by
nroff being run by man, the text on lines 570, 571, ... 587 should
be lines of the form:

   .pN "BS_FILE= <numerical_integer>"
   .pN "CUTOFF= <numerical_integer>"
   etc.

At least that's what the manpage says at the end of the macro
definitions file at http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/cints.1.

As I read the macro definition, it doesn't mention BS_FILE or CUTOFF.
Instead, it creates a string containing an output file name based
on the first argument following .pN being PBASIS, HVIB_OUT, FILE91A,
etc. for the CMS operating system (whatever that is), or CONTOUR,
BASIS, PBASIS, RESUL1, RESUL3, INTDER1, etc. for a Unix operating
system.

When the macro appears in the manpage source-text file, the
first argument following .pN (\\$1 in the macro definition) is
placed in string pO by the request: .ds pO \\$1 .
If that argument is one of the strings listed MAKEFT, INTDER1,
etc. in the list in the macro definition, then nroff redefines
string pO to be "resul3.dat", "intder1.dat", etc.

If the first argument to .pN is empty (.pN "" "arg2" "arg3"),
then string pO is defined as arg3arg2 concatenated together.
At least that's the way it looks to me.

In college, I majored in physics, but my knowledge of quantum
physics and chemistry, and gaussian functions is non-existent,
so I have no instinct for what they're trying to do with the
cints program.  All I can do is guess at what nroff is doing
with the .pN requests in the manpage file.

I don't know if this will help unconfuse you or not.

Good luck,

Clarke