[Groff] number register to check if running in unsafe mode?

From: Dorai Sitaram
Subject: [Groff] number register to check if running in unsafe mode?
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 05:37:19 -0800 (PST)

After checking the docs, it doesn't seem like groff offers a register or any
other way for checking if it is being run in unsafe mode.  Would this not be a
good idea?  I have some macros that use unsafe requests to create and update an
index.   I'd like for these macros to be silent or issue maybe one meaningful
diagnostic if running in safe mode.   Or perhaps do something else relevant and
possible in safe mode.

A typical scenario might involve the author already having run the document in
unsafe mode to create the requisite index files.  She then distributes it all
to someone else who doesn't really need to run groff in unsafe mode (because
the index files are already present), and may in fact be leary of using unsafe
mode on a document that is not his.  All the more reason not to have his safe
run of groff alarm him with a long sequence of error messages.

--d

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.