[Groff] Paper Size with groff and evince on Ubuntu 7.10.

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: [Groff] Paper Size with groff and evince on Ubuntu 7.10.
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:40:57 +0100

Hi,

I'm on Ubuntu 7.10 with

    groff       1.18.1.1-12
    evince      2.20.1-0ubuntu1

I'm finding evince doesn't treat the PostScript from groff as being A4.

    $ cat /etc/papersize
    a4
    $ date | groff -ma4 >date.ps
    $ g '^%' date.ps
    %!PS-Adobe-3.0
    %%Creator: groff version 1.18.1
    %%CreationDate: Mon Apr 21 15:36:37 2008
    %%DocumentNeededResources: font Times-Roman
    %%DocumentSuppliedResources: procset grops 1.18 1
    %%Pages: 1
    %%PageOrder: Ascend
    %%Orientation: Portrait
    %%EndComments
    %%BeginProlog
    %%BeginResource: procset grops 1.18 1
    %%EndResource
    %%IncludeResource: font Times-Roman
    %%EndProlog
    %%Page: 1 1
    %%BeginPageSetup
    %%EndPageSetup
    %%Trailer
    %%EOF
    $

In evince, File -> Properties shows paper size as US Legal, with all the
consequent issues.

I haven't looked into it much yet, and this is a new installation for me
so perhaps I've forgotton to bring some previous tailorings with me, but
does anyone know if this is something groff can improve on, or evince?
Since the latter doesn't let you override the paper size it decides
upon, it's a bit of an irritant.

Convert to PDF with

    gs -sPAPERSIZE=a4 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=$out -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH $in

and evince treats the PDF as being A4.

Cheers,

Ralph.