Re: [Groff] groff and OpenSolaris

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff and OpenSolaris
Date: Sat, 05 Jul 2008 07:35:11 +0200 (CEST)

> I have noticed that man groff does not produce any output on
> Solaris.  [...]
>
> Does the man page for groff.1 use GNU nextensions to nroff?

I think so, however, it looks strange to me that you don't get *any*
output.

Please try the current CVS; it now expects that the formatter reads
the file `an-ext.tmac' which provides some basic man page additions,
and man pages should restrict to these additions if possible.
`an-ext.tmac' is written in a generic manner, to be acceptable by all
roff engines.  Using this, I think that the CVS version of groff.1 can
be read by Sun's nroff also (however, some extensions like `\~' are
still present since they greatly increase readability).

In other words: If you make your nroff read the file `an-ext.tmac'
(possibly renamed to `tmac.an-ext' or whatever), most man pages of
groff should work.  Note that not all man pages have been converted
yet due to lack of time.  Any help is welcomed.