Re: [Groff] groff mm problems

From: Mike Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff mm problems
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 12:39:00 -0400

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 05:55:33PM -0700, michael lindenmeyer wrote:
> I doscoveret that the tmac directory was not in my PATH, so added it. The
> results are the same, no single spacing
> as requested by '.LB 0 0 0 0'.

The PATH is used by the shell to find commands.
It has no effect on where groff finds that file.

I asked you to  locate  /tmac/mm.tmac to see the version number in the path
name.  Likewise for   groff --version .

I'm using  groff 1.18.1  but your input still produces the output you describe.

In my old Bell Labs Memorandum Macros documentation from 1980,
section 5.3.3.1 describes the line spacing number register  Ls .
 Ls  is also described in the  groff_mm(7) man page, under
       Number variables used in mm:

Someone else on the groff mailing list (I've lost who) suggested adding

        .nr Ls 0

before the first  .AL A  macro.

With that in your test file, I get

                         ROYGBIV and Valve Metals

             ROYGBIV
               a.  Colors of the rainbow.
               b.  Frequency/Wavelength
               c.  The Angstrom
             Observing ROYGBIV
               a.  Refraction
                     1.  The Prism
                     2.  The Rainbow
                     3.  Double Rainbow
               b.  Interference/Diffraction
                     1.  Reflection
                     2.  Constructive Interference
                     3.  The Second Pass
             Valve Metals
               a.  Titanium, tantalum, zirconium, hafnium, niobium,
                   aluminum
               b.  Electrical current one-way, rectifier, AC to DC
               c.  Oxide is electrochemically grown.
                     1.  Like Rust, but:
                     2.  Transparent, like glass
                     3.  An Electrical insulator