Re: [Groff] Another hdtbl patch

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] Another hdtbl patch
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 09:43:40 +1100

On 04/02/10 06:08:47, Larry Kollar wrote:
> This actually brings up something that has been bugging me for a
> while, and I think deserves its own thread: we should come up with
> some namespace guidelines for macro packages, especially for
> internal-use macros, to prevent conflicts. Whatever we agree on could
> go in the texinfo document.

As one who lacks the coding skills to contribute, but who often creates
ad hoc macros in specific documents, I would like the texinfo document
to contain suggestions for the naming of macros that are created within
documents.

For example, I use caps+lc with * as a word separator for macros that
will only be called by other macros:

.de My*Ad*Hoc*Macro

but this suffers the obvious problem when the macros are intended to be
inserted into the body copy by $USER. I currently use:

.de MAHM

and

.de Mahm

for this purpose but live in fear that I have accidentally overridden
some tremendously important macro in a package that I am about to use.

Perhaps, texinfo might address this point? Or have I missed something?

Robert Thorsby
There is none so blind as they that won't see.
                -- Jonathan Swift, "Polite Conversation"