Re: [Groff] opentype and postscript fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] opentype and postscript fonts
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 19:33:30 +0200 (CEST)

> The case of heirloom troff is quite strange:
> [...]
> - It's onliest - minor, in my opinion - default is the usage of
>   pipes instead of command line arguments.

This is traditional troff usage.

> - But everybody seems to prefer groff... And me too since it is
>   actively developped.

This is not true; Gunnar is actively maintaining heirloom troff.

> I've got a lot of question concerning this situation:
> - Which are the defaults of heirloom troff?

This question is too vague.  IIRC, Gunnar is reading this list (it's
essentially the only list for troff and friends), so he may answer.

> - Why not integrating heirloom troff advantages inside groff?

Patches are highly welcomed.  I simply have not enough time to do that
by myself.

[...]

> But the solution explained here doesn't work for Groff.  I've tried
> to make a font with small caps, using the "-fsmcp" option.  With
> fontforge, I've looked at the pfd file:
> - It has got small caps and normal letters.
> - The small caps are named "a.smcp" where the normals letters are
>   named "a".

Here is the problem, I think.  To use `a.smcp' instead of `a', you
have to make groff aware of that with code like this:

  .char a \[a.smcp]
  .char b \[b.smcp]

assuming that after using the `afmtodit' program those glyph names are
in the groff font file.