Re: [Groff] Initials: Help appreciated

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Initials: Help appreciated
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:02:27 +0000

The YaDCM macros work very well standalone; I haven't yet tried
them with a package. They are fairly flexible, for example you can type

.dropcap "B\h'2n'right is the ring" 4 darkblue B P 0 2n 0
of words
When the right man rings them,
Fair the fall of songs
When the singer sings them.

If filling is turned off, however, e.g. to set lines of verse, they
fail.  And they also fail in a diversion. I tried the rarely
used .dt but it hasn't worked on its own. There are also
references to \$7 which is not a required argument.

I have my own drop cap macro in -markup, written independently,
and I shall be pleased to use the ideas of YaDCM if I ever get
round to my plan to generalise it -- thanks.

This application is an instance of putting a picture into a shaped
insert in the text. One of my groff wishes for a long time is a
parshape command, e.g. .parshape indent line-length ...
This would be so useful, and it's quite difficult to simulate.

Denis