Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Installing Russian Type-1 Fonts
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:13:57 +0200 (CEST)

> I want to use Russian KOI8-encoded Type 1 fonts with Groff.
> Provided that I am using UTF-8-encoded Groff sourcres, does it mean
> that I should create my own font_map file in order to specify the
> translation from Groff internal characters, used in the UTF-8 mode,
> into PostScript character names?

No.  groff accesses Type 1 fonts always by glyph names.

> More generally, does the map_file required to produce correct native
> Groff font files from .afm metrics depend on whether Groff is to be
> used with -KUTF-8 option or not?  I think it does, because the
> internal character names of the Cyrillic letters will be different.
> Am I right?

No.  Internally, all input characters, regardless of the input
encoding, are converted to entities from the Groff Glyph List (GGL;
you can find the details in groff.texinfo).  afmtodit does the same on
the font side.  Consequently, they fit within groff.

> Should I use Cyrillic character names as specified here:
>

> http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/font/pdfs/5013.Cyrillic_Font_Spec.pdf

Today you should use the Adobe Glyph List (AGL).  I suspect that the
values for Cyrillic glyphs are still identical to the #5013 report,
though.

> What does the encoding of a PostScript font mean, if the characters
> can be accessed by name?

It allows you to use \N'...' with a glyph index number to access
glyphs without a name; this can happen if afmtodit can't automatically
deduce a GGL compliant name, for example, if you have glyph variants
like `foo' and `foo.small' in the same file.