Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] typesetting Czech with custom fonts
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:20:58 +0100

On 28 March 2012 11:53, Petr Man wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am having trouble typesetting Czech.
>
> My typical command line looks like this:
> pdfroff -M. -F. -Tps -p -t -e -g -R -s -k -Dutf8 -mmymom -mpdfmark
> --report-progress --no-toc-relocation -dpaper=a4 -P-pa4
> --pdf-output=rng.pdf rng.mom
>
> Resolving references ... done
> Formatting document ... body section ..rng.mom:156: a special
> character is invalid within \X
> rng.mom:156: a special character is invalid within \X

You don't show us the relevant markup, but I'm guessing that you are
trying to set a

  .pdfbookmark 1 Text with Czech accented characters

and those accented characters are throwing

  rng.mom:156: a special character is invalid within \X

This is a (painful) limitation of Adobe's pdfmark specification: only a
rather limited set of characters is permitted within the text which is
specified to describe a bookmark.  Stick with ASCII, and you are okay;
try to add anything other than ASCII, and YMMV.

I know this isn't the answer you hoped for, but I don't know of any work
around.  I've been bitten by it myself, when writing technical English,
because such entities as \(de, (for the degrees symbol), aren't allowed;
a certain amount of inventiveness may be required, to choose acceptable
bookmark labels.

--
Regards,
Keith.