Re: [Groff] Eric Raymond on groff and TeX

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] Eric Raymond on groff and TeX
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 15:57:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Eric,
Nice to know that you're still monitoring this list...

I was involved in converting some documents from a home-grown
version of eroff/mm to Docbook back before Eric's tools were available
and I agree that there is a LOT more to it than just .EMPH.  For example,
strings were identified as commands, files, structures, etc and then the
style sheet defined whether they were bold, italics, monofont, etc.  And
after living through a few episodes when the "style" people decided that
commands should be italicized rather than bold, then a few years later, back
to bold, then monofont, I can certainly see the advantage of that!

The most challenging discipline when writing in Docbook was that each
entity had a beginning AND AN END -- and you had to stick to the rules.
No more nesting an H5 directly under an H2 just because you like the way
it looked!

I suppose it is theoretically possible to turn troff into a structured system
but
it would be a very different beast than the troff we know...

meg