[Groff] U+0027, U+002D, and U+0060 in code examples?

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: [Groff] U+0027, U+002D, and U+0060 in code examples?
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 11:38:06 +0700

[…]

 > But a hyphens looks nicer when it is thin; \[u2012] achieves this.
 > What you really want to do is to change your groff input so that it
 > uses

 > * - for hyphens,
 > * \- for minus signs.

 > Example:

 > \fBiconv \-f ISO\-8859\-1 \-t UTF\-8\fP

 > converts input from the old West-European encoding ISO\-8859\-1 to
 > Unicode.

        Do I understand it correctly that this will produce U+2212
        (MINUS SIGN) in the example command line?  Wouldn't it prevent
        this example from working should one copy it (from either $ man,
        or a PDF) to the command-line interpreter?

        Arguably, all the /code/ fragments (including Shell code
        fragments) should produce ASCII APOSTROPHE's, HYPHEN-MINUS'es
        and GRAVE ACCEPT's on the output (unless, of course, the
        programming language in question demands the similar Unicode
        characters by itself.)

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257