[Groff] Another silly question: \n[.ll]

From: Zoë Blade
Subject: [Groff] Another silly question: \n[.ll]
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:23:48 +0100

Hi again!

Sorry about all these questions, resources for such specific questions
seem a bit scarce...

As per page 101 of The GNU Troff Manual, I'm looking at \n[.ll] which
I'd expect to be 6.5 inches measured in ems, but when I print this
figure (even with the phrase "\n[.ll]" being the entirety of the
Groff input file), the output is always 468000 (or 451275 for A4
paper, etc).  This is a lot larger than what I was expecting.

I'm quite sure I'm overlooking something obvious again, but could
someone please point me in the direction of what it is?

Or, to broaden the question out to what I'm actually trying to
accomplish overall, I'm trying to specify the right hand indentation.
It looks like there's no such thing semantically, so I'm trying to
find out what the original line length is, and subtract the left
indentation from it, in order to have the appearance of a right
indentation that matches the left.

Thanks!
Zoe.