Re: [Groff] Subscripts

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Subscripts
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 16:48:24 -0600

On 07/30/2012 04:06 PM, Timothy Groves wrote:
I need to embed subscripts in my document.  In particular, I want
something that in eqn would be expressed as 'V sub 0' and 'V sub 1'.
There appears to be no glyphs suitable to this job available in groff,
and I cannot use eqn in the context that I need this expression, because
inline eqn produces results inconsistent with the surrounding text.

I am using groff 1.21 and ms.  Any suggestions?

The approach I usually use for superscripts is \u and \d, and to reduce
the size of the superscript a \s-1 and \s+1 or +/- 2 if it looks better.

The \u and \d move up and down by 0.5v.

For other up/down distances, you can use \v'e' where the value of e
determines the distance moved.  Negative moves up, positive down.
Default unit is v, as in \v'-.3v', or if you want it in points, use
\v'-6p', for example.  Of course if you subscript with \v'4p',  you must
balance it with a \v'-4p' to move back up after the subscript.

Same with using \u and \d.  They must be used in balanced pairs.

Clarke