[Groff] utf8 to groff_char filter

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: [Groff] utf8 to groff_char filter
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 14:28:59 -0400

I'm doing something that's got to be rare if it's been done before: I'm
dictating a groff document.

The dictation program lets me say things like "mdash", and the output
is UTF-8 (so says file(1)).  I prefer to work in ASCII.  preconv doesn't
do what I think I want. It produces outputs that aren't highly mnemonic
e.g.

        \[u00E2]\[u0080]\[u0093]

I'm not sure what that's supposed to be, but what I'd like to see is

        \[em]

I'm therefore look for (if you will) "ffort": something that converts
machine-readable codes in to human readable codes.

Looking at the groff_char manual, it seems like such a translation is
possible, even if many Unicode points map to the same groff symbol
name.  My questions:

1.  Does such a utility exist?
2.  Am I the only one who wishes for such a thing?
3.  Is the problem well specified?  Do you see any ambiguity in the
proposed translation?

It doesn't seem terribly difficult, but maybe I'm overlooking
something.

Thank you.

--jkl