[Groff] Inserting space after a page break

From: Timothy Groves
Subject: [Groff] Inserting space after a page break
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:24:39 -0500

I have been using a macro for headings that looks much like this:

.de H1
.LP
.ne 1i
.sp 3.2i
.B1
.B2
.fam H
.ps 18
\fB\\$1\fR
.sp 0.15i
..

The problem is that if this heading is called after a page break, including
one inserted by the .ne call, the .sp 3.2i gets ignored, and everything is
pushed up to the top of the page.  I need to control exactly how much space
gets inserted before the heading, and I almost always call it before the
break, but I cannot call a .bp inside the macro, because it's only *almost*
always.  Any suggestions?
--
"Cows fly like clouds, but are never quite successful."
--Megahal