[Groff] replicating official memo

From: Daniel Lyons
Subject: [Groff] replicating official memo
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 23:00:28 -0700

Hi,

I'm fairly new to groff. For fun, I decided to copy work's memo template from
Word, which you can see here if you're curious:

http://www.nrao.edu/brand/NRAO_memo_template_SOC.dotx

So, it's not a pretty memo template and my macros are very simplistic, but it
seems to basically work, and I can write a memo that looks right with this kind
of formatting:

  .so memo.tmac
  .Memo
  .To Benjamin Franklin, Edsgar Dijkstra
  .From Daniel Lyons
  .Date 1 February 2013
  .Subject Using groff to baffle your colleagues and create workplace chaos
  .StartMemo
  First sentence…

I'm thinking now if I ever want to do footnotes or number headings or whatever,
I should instead customize one of the existing macro packages. This is my
question. I gather this is usually done with -ms, is that correct? Would
anybody recommend using -mm or -me for this task instead? Is the chapter on
customizing -ms in UTP the right reference for this kind of job? I'm asking now
because I'm not heavily invested in any of them yet because I'm so new, so it
seems to be the appropriate time to pick one and commit.

Thanks,

—
Daniel Lyons