Re: [Groff] Multiple Lines Equation

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] Multiple Lines Equation
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:30:00 +0200

> So this will be a nice bit of mental exercise.

:-)

Here's a small hint on what the second version is intended
to accomplish (see if you can recognize this in the code):

If the equation does not overlap (with a safety margin of 1 em)
with the text in the previous (partially-filled) line, then
don't space (because then there's already a full "v" of space
above the equation), otherwise space half a "v".
After the equation, space half a "v" again and turn on
no-space mode, in case another equation follows immediately
after (since you don't want twice the space between equations
as between the equation and the surrounding text).
If you absolutely must space after the equation, insert
".rs" immediately after ".EN" in your document.

> While I use Groff, and enjoy it, I don't really understand
> what it's doing.

My suggestion always is to build your own toy macro package
from the tutorial examples at the end of the Troff User's
Manual (CSTR #54).  It's fun, it teaches you a lot about
how troff works, and it lets you appreciate why particular
features are implemented the way they are.