[Groff] End of file processing

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: [Groff] End of file processing
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 21:05:14 -0500

I've hit a conundrum to which I cannot seem to find a solution.

When a diversion that doesn't fit on the last page of a document and
has to be deferred to the next (ie a float) is followed by a few
lines of type that don't reach the bottom margin, processing stops
at the end of the text and the diversion is never output.  '.em' is
useless in this case, since it exits as soon as there's a page
break, and a page break is the very thing needed.

The only conceptual solution I can come up with is tricking groff
into seeing a partially collected line that carries over to the next
page, but I'm at a loss as to how to implement it.

Does anyone know of a way around this problem, or will I have
to write yet another "Oh, by the way, you might experience this
groff oddity so this is what you have to do to overcome it" bit of
documentation for the mom macros?

On another note, I've been attacking mom's lagging pre-processor
support, much thanks to Robin Haberkorn. 'refer' has been in place
for a while, of course, but 'tbl' is now complete, and 'eqn' is
almost done.  That leaves only 'pic'.  I hope to be committing to
the git repository by the end of the month.

Happy New Year, everyone.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca