Re: [Groff] Letterspacing

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Letterspacing
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:23:47 -0400

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014, Werner Lemberg wrote:
> Well, as Tadziu's example shows, if you simply allow some squeezing of
> the *inter-word* distances, you can get very nice results.  If this
> isn't good enough, some *minimum* letterspacing might be applied, as
> done by pdftex.
>
> Not doing the former but only doing the latter is not good enough
> IMHO.

We're in agreement.

> > This kind of line-by-line letterspacing has been pretty much
> > stock-in-trade since the earliest days of standalone
> > phototypesetting systems, which is why I'm puzzled.
>
> My main concern is the improvement of *automatic* typesetting.

Mine, too. :)

I think what we all want from groff is a better approach to
automatic formatting for general purpose, the-client-doesn't-want-
to-pay-a-fortune typesetting.  Concurrently, we don't want to fight
with the program when fine typography is called for.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca