Re: [Groff] Creating an index with mom

From: Denis M. Wilson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Creating an index with mom
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 00:15:59 +0100

Writing index stuff was quite a lot of work, but worth the effort as
I've used it quite frequently.

Here's my remarks.

1. I used makeindex, which comes with the TeXLive package.

2. It uses a style file, and there are examples in the man page.

3. My macros use .write so troff cannot be used in safer mode. In
addition .sy is used to invoke makeindex. If the troff command were
wrapped in a shell script .write and .sy could be avoided, but the
output would be to stderr and would require disentangling from error
messages.

4. The macros split into two parts: generating the index data and
formatting the output of makeindex.

5. Unlike cross references or table of content, indexing does not need
a second or third pass.

6. I wrote the macros using the -markup package: two-column; symbol
headings using the header commands of that package.

7. I posted previously in this group. See
    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2012-09/msg00070.html

Denis

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
6. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
6. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
6. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
6. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
6. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
6. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
6. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs

On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 13:31:01 -0400
Peter Schaffter <address@hidden> wrote:

> Blake --
>
> Sorry to take so long to respond.  Easter and all that.
r. I wrote the mwcros unsingm thecs