Re: [Groff] [patch] unbreak make install

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] [patch] unbreak make install
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 12:58:28 +0100

Hi Vaibhaw,

> Don't we have a formal unit-test/review cycle around the commits we
> make into the code base? Also do we have any test suites around major
> packages that can quickly sanitize our checkins?

There's no `make check' content for groff, no.

> Or an automated build and test system?

I'm not aware of anyone running http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buildbot or
similar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_integration tool on
groff's git repo's master branch.

I've suggested in the past that regression tests as part of `make check'
would be useful.  Old outputs, e.g. groff_out(5), could be under
revision control.  Other outputs, e.g. grops's PostScript, could also be
rendered as a low-resolution image and compared.  That would have
spotted bugs like this one early on.

    groff's -mm macros have Moved the Footer in version 1.18.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/groff/+bug/42764

I guess there's a shortage of people with the skills, inclination, and
*time*.  :-)

Cheers, Ralph.