Re: [Groff] \o and \z do not work for -Tutf8

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] \o and \z do not work for -Tutf8
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 12:19:59 +0100

Hi Keith,

> > Both escapes are documented in Osanna/Kernioghan `CSTR 54' and many
> > other ancient `roff' documentations.  So `nroff' should be able to
> > do that as well.  Every typewriter could do such overstriking.
>
> But a video terminal is not a typewriter.  Video terminals can display
> only one glyph in each physical character cell; when you compose a
> character by overstriking multiple glyphs, you will see only the last
> one struck in each cell.  You can achieve no better than this.

That used to be true, but then xterm(1) has -fb support for a `bold'
font to support same-glyph overstrike with `x^Hx', and then Unicode got
in on the act with combining characters.

    $ printf '\0%s\040\336\0 ' a b c | iconv -f ucs-2be; echo
    a⃞ b⃞ c⃞
    $

Don't think this helps with Bernd's issue though.  :-)  There is U+0331,
combining macron below, `U̱ṉi̱x̱', and lots of other combiners.  Don't know
offhand of a `plus' for overlaying a `0' in -Tutf8.

Bernd, I think you need to Google up `pinyin and unicode'.

Cheers, Ralph.