Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014

From: lxnf98mm
Subject: Re: [Groff] Overview, Sept. 2014
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 13:14:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 2014, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

The problem with global variables is their long range effect,
comparable with the infamous goto statement: considered harmful.

I like `goto' a lot, and it is an invaluable instruction if used with
care.  The same is true with global variables.  Sorry to say, but we
are now going into hearsay and hollow statements, which isn't helpful.

I may have to look into this C++ stuff. I have only written C and I have not figured out how to write multi-threaded applications without global variables. And I make good use of goto and longjmp. Apps would be a lot junkier without them.

Richard