[Groff] gpinyin problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] gpinyin problems
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 07:24:50 +0200 (CEST)

[See my other e-mail for generic Perl issues]

Processing this snippet

  This is a test of
  .pinyin start
  Wo3 hen3 xi3 huan1 lue3 xing2.
  .pinyin end
  Pinyin syllables.

I see two problems.

  . gpinyin inserts an empty line before the Pinyin text.  This is
    wrong.  It should simply continue the line.  Reason is missing `\'
    characters after `\{' in the `.ie' clauses.

  . The syllable `lue3' (which looks like `lǚ') gets translated to

      l\o'\s-2\[:u]\s0\[ah]'

    I consider this ugly.  What's the reason for making the `ü'
    character smaller?  Please change this to move the tone mark
    higher, instead of reducing the size of the base character.