Re: [Groff] [patch] Typographic quotes in -mdoc %T

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] [patch] Typographic quotes in -mdoc %T
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 21:38:02 +0100

> Well, the Unicode people certainly didn't `screw up' the encoding.
> They simply had to make a decision which of the overloaded meanings of
> the character ` should be retained, and they finally decided to follow
> the available *character* standards like ISO-8859 for round-trip
> compatibility.

Well, they could have left positions 0x27 and 0x60 untouched,
to be used according to prevalent practice, and defined separate
code points for the specific characters.  That would not have
broken anything while still allowing precise specification of
characters where necessary.

But the really serious point where they screwed up was by
specifying quotes by shape, not intended usage.  They missed
defining code points for languages which use conventions
other than those in English (e.g., German left and right
quotes, etc.).  So now we have the dilemma that you can't
simply switch a font using one style of quote (e.g., Times)
for one that uses another style (like Verdana or Tahoma,
which use Courier-style quotes) without manually fixing all
the quotes in the text.  (Which is impossible on the Web,
where the author doesn't know what fonts the reader uses...)

We've been over this before...