Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] [Heirloom] Double word space after :
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 11:44:58 -0800

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 19:31:48 +0100
Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> > > So the default groff behavior of adding additional space
> > > between sentences also does not follow today's typical US
> > > typography.  You would have to specify ".ss 12 0" to achieve
> > > US convention.
>
> > It seems ease of reading or better comprehension (which are
> > the reasons I prefer extra space after sentences, etc.) have
> > nothing to do with "the rules."
> > Sigh.
>
> The situation is even worse.  I've recently read a novel where
> (particularly noticeable in tightened-up lines) the space
> after a sentence-period was *reduced* compared to the normal
> word-spacing on the same line.  It appears the attitude is that
> all the empty space above the period is already room enough.
> Sheesh.

I've seen that same thing.  Worse, it was on a line where there
was a space after a comma that was _wider_ than a normal
inter-sentence space.  Say _what_?!  Or my other favorite, from a
different publishing house: A closing double quote that _starts_ a
line.

I read on somebody's blog that no _professional_ typographer would
use such low-capability software as *roff or TeX.  Well, if this
is what their thousand-dollar-per-seat, "quality," "professional"
software puts out, I'll stick with Groff.  I used to think that
the professional typographers knew more than I do about
typography.  I still do.  Many of the folks here are lightyears
beyond me.  But I am wondering if the publishing houses are hiring
professionals anymore.

.RANT OFF

Sorry for the noise, but that's something that's been bothering me
lately.  To make up for it, here's something I have in my personal
Groff macros:

for an old-fasioned colon.  Just 'cause I'm an old curmudgeon.
Humbug! to the new-fangled colons.  Humbug! I say!  :-)

--Dale

--
"Don't only practice your Art, but force your way into its
Secrets, for it and Knowledge can raise Men to the Divine."