Re: [Groff] Setting Text Along A Curve

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [Groff] Setting Text Along A Curve
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 15:41:03 +1100

On 19/01/15 15:04:50, James K. Lowden wrote:
In musing about PostScript I came across "Mathematical Illustrations" by Bill Casselman, http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/ and his example of text-on-a-path on page 3 of the preface, http://www.math.ubc.ca/~cass/graphics/manual/pdf/preface.pdf. The technique is explicated in Appendix 7.

First, thank you to everyone who responded.

I was trying to create some Do-Nut shaped text for a CD cover so Adobe's Bluebook and its example circular text PS file contained what I needed.

Initially, I couldn't make it work until I realised that, having been created with PS-Adobe-2.0, the PS file did not contain a Bounding Box. This also meant that the mid-Altantic dimensions of the file (612x792) resulted in it being printed upside down over an entire page of my A4 document.

I used the utility psfixbb to insert a Bounding Box (which trimmed off all the surrounding extraneous whitespace) into the PS file, saving the output as eps. This eps file behaved itself when positioned with the .PSPIC request.

It was then simply a matter of adjusting by trial and error the four arguments in the PS file in accordance with the Bluebook at p.169 (and remembering to re-run psfixbb).

Thanks again,
Robert