Re: [Groff] groff ms: Is there an order to setting PS and VS

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff ms: Is there an order to setting PS and VS
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 23:11:28 -0400

> If I set ?registers PO and LL and also set PS and VS, the values of
> PO and LL seem to revert to the default values.

As you expected, the order of setting doesn't matter.

I don't see anything strange in the run below. where the stderr
output follows the closing '!'.

groff -ms <<'!' >/dev/null
.nr LL 100000u
.nr PO 1000u
.nr PS 12
.nr VS 10000u
.TL
Title
.tm \n[LL]
.tm \n[PO]
.tm \n[PS]
.tm \n[VS]
.LP
.tm \n[LL]
.tm \n[PO]
.tm \n[PS]
.tm \n[VS]
!
100000
1000
12
10000
100000
1000
12
10000

.TL and .LP are where all the setup action happens

Can you give a short example of what seems to go wrong?