[Groff] Access alternative figures from OpenType fonts

From: Ivan Garcerant
Subject: [Groff] Access alternative figures from OpenType fonts
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 01:20:38 +0000 (UTC)

Hi everybody!
I am writing some technical documentation on groff 1.22.2 right now. Two
dissertations among them. I am working seriously so I did my work. I read a lot
of manuals and solve by myself all kind of n00b style problems. However one
problem persists: I cannot access lining figures in my font.
I choose Cormorant (see below) which came in otf format. I follow the excellent
tutorial of Peter Schaffer and install everything under my document tree. Then
I start to typing with some custom macros build upon ms. Sound easy but took
its fair share of time.
The program otfinfo said that Cormorant has both, lining figures and old style
figures. By default it uses old style figures; which is fine for my body text
but looks horrible in my headers. I really don't wish encode an alternative
version of the font so I am looking for a way to use troff commands to change
the glyph used for each digit back and forth between these two versions. I
envision two macros: .onum and .lnum which set the old style or the lining one;
both may be written (I guess) with some magic code together the .char command.
Something like the next pseudo code:

.de lnum.char \[zero] \[zero.lnum].char \[one]  \[one.lnum].\" the rest of the
digits...
..

and so on with all the rest of digits and combinations.
However, I don't know how to encode this. My CormorantR file seems to have not
reference for lnum figures, even when it has references to the dnom and numr
character sets.

Any idea?
Thanks in advance for your time and promptly support.Ivan Garcerant.
---

Resources:
 Free Font Cormorant by Catharsis Fonts | Font Squirrel

|   |
|   |   |   |   |   |
| Free Font Cormorant by Catharsis Fonts | Font SquirrelDownload and install
the free font Cormorant by Catharsis Fonts as well as test-drive and see a
complete character set. |
|  |
| Ver en www.fontsquirrel.com | Vista previa por Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

Mom -- Appendices

|   |
| Mom -- AppendicesBack to Table of Contents Appendices Adding fonts to groff
Extending groff families / adding new families and fonts The traditional
approach The simpler way with mom Step-by-step instructions  |
|  |
| Ver en www.schaffter.ca | Vista previa por Yahoo |
|  |
|   |