Re: [Groff] groff developments - query about any interest?

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff developments - query about any interest?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 22:06:04 +1100

The Germans have a word for what I'm feeling right now, and it's
*fremdschämen...*

> *I just don't think this is much relevant to groff itself.*

Well, it's now come down to sick amusement from seeing unsubstantiated
criticism from somebody who *very very blatantly* has no idea what he's
talking about.

I won't doubt you know about good documentation practices and authoring
roff/mdoc. But every time you've used the word "JavaScript" in a sentence,
it's been juxtaposed to an abhorrent train-wreck of logic that stretching
my ability to issue an adequately sarcastic response.

I'm just gonna start ripping band-aids off:

> *- I have just read that .option() list and I have no idea what "mocha" is
> and what it does. How is that documentation?*

*- but I'll repeat: greping for ".option(" and rewriting it into roff is
> not documentation.*

This sentence is like an Escher painting; but instead of staircases, it's
the mental image of a deluded programmer attempting to execute JavaScript
by matching patterns against its source code and cobbling it together into
some meaningful result.

*It's a list of options. That's not documentation.*

Today I learned it's possible to be elitist about how information is
communicated.

*because they care that their node.js software has a manpage. Right?*

Yes, the strategy here is to pump as many numeric file extensions as
possible into modern codebases. The fact it's making documentation easier
for to access for Linux/BSD/macOS-users is just a side-effect I'm relying
on.

*What you percieve as hate was meant simply as a criticism. You will be
> wasting your time building this. But go ahead.*

There's a word I'd like to use to describe the accuracy of your criticism,
but I don't think it exists in English. It means the exact opposite of
being something a human mind was meant to follow.