[Groff] Refer with MM

From: Damian McGuckin
Subject: [Groff] Refer with MM
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 00:38:52 +1000 (AEST)

Hi,

The last time I used refer with MM was over a decade ago so my brain might be playing tricks.

There is a command used in macro .]- to explicitly clear the fields

        .rm [A [B [C [D [E [G [I [J [N [O [P [Q [R [S [T [V

This means that the fields from one reference do not pollute the fields for the next reference.

However, if I have a volume (or other fields)

        %V

in one reference, it persists into the next with '-mm' but not 'ms'. So,
something is broken.

Now, the common macro in refer.tmac is

.de ]-
.       rm [A [B [C [D [E [G [I [J [N [O [P [Q [R [S [T [V
.       rm ref*string
.       if d ref*item-start-hook \
.               ref*item-start-hook
..

Now ref*item-start-hook is beyond my groff skills but it does not exist in '-ms'.. If I move the first '.rm' to be 3 lines further I get

.de ]-
.       rm ref*string
.       if d ref*item-start-hook \
.               ref*item-start-hook
.       rm [A [B [C [D [E [G [I [J [N [O [P [Q [R [S [T [V
..

this variations appears to work for both '-ms' and '-me'.

What will I have broken?

The word 'appears' is crucial. I have used 'mm' for a long time, not groff. So no expert with commands like '.als' and '.am'.

A sample file follows and ends at the text 'Last line of file.' but simply

        refer FILE | groff -me > x

works with the original refer.tmac. But

        refer FILE | groff -mm > x

pollutes a reference with field from the previous reference, i.e. fails with the original refer.tmac but works perfectly for my small example with the changed one.

Any clues?

Thanks - Damian

.R1
move-punctuation
bracket-label " [" "]" ", "
join-authors ", and " ", " ", and "
accumulate
.R2
Perth.
.[
%A Groenenboom P.H.L.
%A Cartwright B.K.
%A McGuckin D.
%T Numerical Simulation of ships in High Seas using a Coupled SPH FEA Approach
%J Innovation in High Speed Marine Vessels
%I Royal Institute of Naval Architects (RINA)
%C Fremantle, WA, Australia
%D 28-29 January 2009
.]
Early.
.[
%A Groenenboom P.H.L.
%A Cartwright B.K.
%T Hydrodynamics and fluid-structure interaction by coupled SPH-FE method
%J Journal of Hydraulic Research
%V 48 (Extra Issue)
%P 61-73
%D 2010
.]
Later.
.[
%A Groenenboom P.H.L.
%A Cartwright B.K.
%T Pressure-corrected SPH with innovative particle regularization algorithms
and non-uniform initial particle distributions
%J Proceedings of the 8th Int'l SPHERIC Workshop
%C Trondheim, Norway
%D 4-6 June 2013
.]
Last line of file.