Re: [Groff] It is time to modernise "groff"

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] It is time to modernise "groff"
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 09:26:02 -0400

Modernizing is all well and good, but many people use groff to typeset legacy
documents. Indeed, one could argue that groff has done an excellent job of
walking that line between modernizing and backward compatibility. We have long
names, HTML output (however crude), and a lot of people on this list who know
more than I do about making it work with corner cases.

Personally, I’d like future development to focus on excellent typography —
paragraph-level H&J (which neatroff already has) and hanging punctuation (I’m
working on a really crude hack that involves pipelining the intermediate
format).

        Larry