Re: [Groff] pic.ps

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic.ps
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 18:19:37 +0200

Hi Doug,

Doug McIlroy wrote on Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 11:43:40AM -0400:

> The Fedora system I have access to lacks /usr/share/doc/groff,
> and in particular the wonderful tutorial /usr/share/doc/groff/pic.ps.

It might be somewhere else.  For example, the OpenBSD port has it here:

  /usr/local/share/doc/groff/pic.ps

If Fedora doesn't have it at all, i would suspect that might be a bug
local to the Fedora distribution then.

> Was that omitted from groff 1.22.3, or did it get dropped somewhere
> in the chain of custody between there and here?

No, it is still in groff 1.22.3.
See doc/pic.ms in the groff git repo.
And look at doc/doc.am to convince yourself that it is still
being installed by default.

> Another bit of evidence: in a cygwin installation I also use,
> the files in /usr/share/doc/groff are a year older than those
> in /usr/share/groff.

I don't think timestamps on *installed* files mean much, except
maybe for debugging how the installation was done on that
particular machine.  Read the fantastic source!

Yours,
  Ingo