Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac: Move macro diagnostics away from `quotes'.

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/04: tmac: Move macro diagnostics away from `quotes'.
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 13:54:27 +0000

On 20/11/17 11:35, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> Hi Branden,
>
>> Are you familiar with the U.K. practice[3] that says an abbreviation
>> doesn't get a period if the abbreviation ends with the final letter of
>> the abbreviated word?
>
> Nothing has been brought to a stop, unlike, say, Prof. Moriarty.
>
>> [3] en_GB: practise

Nope; "practise" in this context, in which it is used as a noun, is
very, very wrong.  As Ralph says:

> We English use practice for the noun, and practise for the verb.
> Just like advice and advise.
> "Are you familiar with the U.K. advise that says...".  Nope.  :-)

Just in case it isn't completely clear: Ralph is saying here, that it
is wrong to use "advise" in this context; it should be "advice".

Another example, where North American usage differs from British (and
World, as the Oxford English Dictionary likes to call it) usage: we
Brits use "licence" for the noun and "license" for the verb.  Do you
see an inconsistency in North American usage here?

- licence vs. license (UK) --> license (USA)
- practice vs. practise (UK) --> practice (USA)

--
Cheers,
Keith