Re: [groff] A macro package for lists in TROFF

From: Pierre-Jean
Subject: Re: [groff] A macro package for lists in TROFF
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2017 20:25:10 +0100

Stephanie Björk <address@hidden> wrote:

> However, Troff's ability to take values of a numerical
> register and use it as a name to another register (.nr my_\na_\nb)
> intrigues me very much.

I do not know if that "feature" was an intentional design or an
accident, and I do not know either if it is considered a good practice
or an abuse to take advantage of it, but I find it very useful. It
does not only work with number registers, but also with strings and,
in fact, everything.

I'm using it to write macros on the fly (".de macro:\nx"), and avoid
the if/else tests (".macro\ni", ".macro\nj").

> I'm not exactly sure how I found this ability, but I think I found it by
> accident.

I have the feeling I found it by accident too. Or maybe did I saw it
in the macro ms...

Kind Regards,
Pierre-Jean.