Re: [groff] Changing A Defined String

From: Robert Thorsby
Subject: Re: [groff] Changing A Defined String
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 10:30:22 +1100

On 26/01/18 01:22:39, Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:
If you want the following behavior:

  .ds DATE*FULL <modified date>
  The updated short date is \*[DATE*SHORT].

Thank you Ralph and Tadziu,

The answer lay in Ralph's suggestion of the .substring request, combined with good old nested conditionals.

Since the character count for DayOfWeek in English is 6-9 the nesting was ``only'' four levels deep. I created the ds FIND*COMMA from DATE*FULL and used .substring to find the pairing ``, ''. I created the ds DATE*SHORT and subjected it to the successful .substring request. I did not have to use .length because I was removing characters from the front only, and .substring takes care of that.

The only thing worth mentioning is that FIND*COMMA must be redefined at the beginning of each nested conditional, having been irrevocably altered during the previous conditional.

Robert