Re: [groff] Now online: gropdf / grops previewer

From: Pierre-Jean Fichet
Subject: Re: [groff] Now online: gropdf / grops previewer
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 17:26:35 +0200

John Gardner <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, here it is:
> https://rawgit.com/Alhadis/Roff.js/web-demo/index.html

It is nice to see our old troff on the web, thank you for
the hard work!

If I remember correctly your other posts, this previewer is
only a part of the online troff editor you are working on,
isn't it?

I also noticed you were thinking about a troff to xml converter. May I
suggest you to have a look at my own "proof of concept" on that
matter: <http://utroff.org/xml.html> (I posted some mails about it on
that list a few months ago). It is not especially a great piece of
software, but I believe the idea of using nroff, with a macro made for
the purpose of the conversion, still worth being considered. At
least, I'd be glad to hear criticisms if it is not.

>    - *Heirloom Troff output isn't perfect.* This is a known issue I intend
>    to fix in a future release. At the moment, the renderer is heavily reliant
>    on the ‘w’ and ‘n’ output commands to identify where a word ends.
> Groff
>    uses these sequences consistently, but Heirloom doesn't.

I have used heirloom troff for years, and felt very lonely. Karsten
Kunze seemed to be the only other person on earth interested with
that software. I'm not certain it is worth your time working on
compatibility with heirloom troff.

Kind Regards,
Pierre-Jean.