Re: [groff] Creating a numbered list without macros

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [groff] Creating a numbered list without macros
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 08:59:59 -0400

> Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> We're not entirely sure what he wants.  ...  Perhaps troff syntax, even with
> mainly light-noise macros, would be off-putting to his users and so he's
> wanting a pre-processor that produces troff.  The input language could
> be largely based on indentation, for example.

I’ve often wondered why one of the major macro packages doesn’t have
support to set .blm to its paragraph macro. It might have to be disabled
for code blocks (eg .DS/.DE), but that’s what, 2-3 lines of code to handle?

Input would look a lot cleaner without the .LP/.PP between every line.
For example:

        .NH 1
        \*[PRODUCT] Setup

        Use the tasks in this chapter to set up the \*[PRODUCT].

        .B Note :
        Some of the tasks in this chapter
        may not apply to your \*[PRODUCT]’s hardware configuration.
        Each task defines which model it applies to.

        Perform the tasks in the following list in order.

        (etc…)

It doesn’t do anything for tables or lists, but one hopes they’re not
the majority of the document anyway. :-)

        Larry