Re: [groff] Odd indentation in -ms using .IP after .SH 1 with .nr PSINC

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [groff] Odd indentation in -ms using .IP after .SH 1 with .nr PSINC 3p
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 13:55:45 +0200

> but unless this is historical behaviour that must be
> preserved, isn't the order wrong and address@hidden' should get
> the paragraph reset before interpreting its `$2'?

Certainly.  I can't imagine this is intended behavior
and should be preserved, since it runs counter to all
expectations, and there appears to be no good technical
reason for requiring it to be this way.  It's just a bug
that should be fixed.  Also, I don't think GROWPS was ever
in the original ms macros, so I expect that the number
of historically relevant documents that make use of this
feature would be quite limited.

I hadn't yet had time to look at the macros in more detail,
but I agree that since IP resets the font size anyway, it
should do this before interpreting its arguments (so that
the arguments refer to the size of the text that is typeset
by IP), although at first glance it had appeared to me that
the reset is delegated to a common macro that seems to expect
all values to be set already.