Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote

From: Ingo Schwarze
Subject: Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 16:03:01 +0100

Hi Doug,

Doug McIlroy wrote on Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 09:39:41AM -0500:

> I'm puzzled. How can one "modernize" ascii?

One cannot.  When i wrote

  modernize -T ascii rendering

i meant: modernize the rendering when groff is run
with the "-T ascii" option.

> Or to put the question another way, what universally available
> character set does -T ascii evoke?

I'm not sure what "evoke" is intended to mean here.
If "evoke a character set" is intended to mean "produce output
using a character set", then the answer is "ASCII".

This patch doesn't change the charcter set used for output by "-T ascii".
It merely uses a different ASCII output character for \(oq because in
my humble opinion - and seemingly the opinion of some others - the
current rendering of \(oq in "-T ascii" looks somewhat anachronistic.

Yours,
  Ingo