Re: [groff] Loss of MSVC support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [groff] Loss of MSVC support
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 19:21:36 +0200

> From: John Gardner <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 09:18:15 +1100
> Cc: groff <address@hidden>
>
> I admit I don't have much to contribute to this discussion, but I haven't
> seen GOW mentioned yet, so I figure I'd bring it up for those who'd be
> interested:
>
> https://github.com/bmatzelle/gow

That was last updated 5 years ago, and most of the activity ended 7
years ago.  Also, I see MSYS DLLs there, which tells me some of the
programs are MSYS ports, not native Windows ports (MSYS is a fork of
Cygwin which I use only to build native Windows programs using MinGW
tools).

> GOW stands for "GNU on Windows"; it's a lightweight alternative to Cygwin.
> Makes developing on Windows so much more bearable...

Most of the tools there are available from GnuWin32, from MinGW, or
from ezwinports, the latter two are more up to date.