Re: [groff] Wierd font troubles

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [groff] Wierd font troubles
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2019 16:29:37 -0700

*P.S.  What's a .t1 file?*

> T1 = Type 1 font file
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PostScript_fonts#Type_1>. It's a PostScript
program with an encrypted subset of drawing commands
> which produce letterforms. Note that there's no standard file extension
for Type 1 fonts; pfa and
> pfb are typically more common (PFA and PFB are more-or-less the same,
except the latter uses
> raw binary whilst the former uses ASCII. PFA = "Printer Font ASCII", PFB
= "Printer Font Binary").

Thank you for the explanation.  I wondered if it might not be something
like that, but as I said, the only description I could find was for the MRI
files.  Is there any way to use a .t1 file in groff?  Convert it to .pfa,
for instance?  (I would not be surprised if the answer is no, but I thought
I should ask.)

*When I ran make, BuildFoundries couldn't build the groff fonts, and I
don't know why.*

> I've not looked too thoroughly into Groff's makefiles, but you shouldn't
need to run make to generate
> font descriptions from AFM files. Are you using the afmtodit binary (that
should be) available in your
> $PATH?

Make automatically runs BuildFoundries when Groff is built, it's in the
"build the URW++ Basic35 fonts" part of building Groff.  I didn't have to
do anything special.  And yes, afmtodit is in my $PATH.

*Then I created symbolic links to the apropriate old-style file names and**ran
configure. Success!  Huzzah!*

> Needless to say, you shouldn't have to be doing that. This is something
that should really be fixed
> on Groff's end...

I'll certainly agree with that.  My thought is that Groff should simply
include the URW++ fonts by default.  Given that both Fedora and Debian have
deprecated Type1 support, it probably won't be too much longer before those
fonts won't be available from the distros' repositories at all.
--Dale

--
"And finally, _thinking_ is an exercise to which all too few brains are
accustomed."  --E.E. "Doc" Smith, _First Lensman_