Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.

From: James K. Lowden
Subject: Re: [groff] 04/05: {g, n}roff.1.man: Give assistance to pager users.
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2019 14:04:42 -0400

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 10:25:23 +1000 (AEST)
Damian McGuckin <address@hidden> wrote:

> Back in those days, terminals ran at 30-240 characters per second.
> Not all that fast. Actually 300 characters per second, i.e. 300 baud,
> was slowww! I remember being blown away by 9600 baud terminals.

Right.  If you hooked up your 300 bps modem to Compuserve, assuming
the screen is only half-filled with characters as the text "flies" by,
you have 40 x 24 = 960 characters, or 3 seconds per page.  Plenty of
time to stop the terminal wherever you want.

Once you're up to 1200 bps, you have to get pretty quick.  Locally
attached terminals in the 80s could easily be 9600 bps because they
were using either straight copper or line drivers, or LAT/telnet over
Ethernet.

--jkl