Re: man Macro Package and pdfmark

From: John Gardner
Subject: Re: man Macro Package and pdfmark
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 20:56:25 +1100

> ???  Have you actually used stand-alone `info` recently?  In its
> standard configuration, you only need the arrow keys together with the
> enter key to navigate.

That's not what I'm talking about. In Emacs, I'm used to smashing `c-h o`
to bring up the documentation for the symbol at point. In info(1), I've no
idea where or what to even begin searching for to find a symbol's
documentation. info(1) without Emacs feels like a fish out of the water.

To Texinfo's credit, it *is* decent at producing well-structured and neatly
typeset manuals (going by my copy of *Programming in Emacs Lisp*, which was
generated from Texinfo). Its output is, IMHO, best when it's confined to
one long page (for easier searching); I have the HTML versions of GNU
manuals bookmarked for that reason.

However, none of the above merits can't already be achieved with a
well-written macro package in Troff, either.