discrepant groff configurations

From: Doug McIlroy
Subject: discrepant groff configurations
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:06:38 -0400

I run groff in windows (cygwin) and linux (redhat).
Groff's appearance in /usr/share is surprisingly
different in the two environments.

cygwin:
    groff
        1.22.4 current site-tmac
    doc
        groff-1.22.4
            pic.ps

linux:
    groff
        1.22.3 current site-tmac
    doc
        groff-base
            BUG-REPORT
            MORE.STUFF
            NEWS
            PROBLEMS

Is this a difference between 1.22.3 and 1.22.4 or
between Cygwin and Redhat?

In the cygwin variant, the pathname of Eric Raymond's
excellent pic.ps changes with every release of groff.
while there's an unchanging "current" path to groff proper.
Is this the fault of cygwin.org or gnu.org/software/groff?

It is too bad that Raymond's piece is not in Redhat,
and not mentioned in MORE-STUFF, which lists groff-
related resources.

If the difference is between Cygwin and Redhat, I suppose
they are exploiting configuration options offered by
the groff project. What is the point of these particular
options? We're not talking significant disk space.
But we are talking cognitive dissonance for users of
multiple systems.

Doug